Wednesday, September 21, 2016

Writing & editing memoir

Underneath your memoir, please include the following

A. Ask a co-pilot to your your memoir and answer these 3 questions 
  • What more do you want to know?
  • What are you confused about? What am I not saying?
  • What do you like?


B. Include context (setting, surrounding events influencing your memoir)

C. What is your purpose (To reflect, To question, to learn..... about _____ in order to have the audience realize / understand / know / ...)

D. How do you want to present yourself in the story (list 3 adjectives)

Example
My context - Greece 90’s economy about to go unstable, post communism

My purpose -
  • To laugh at myself and the situations I got myself into
  • To remind risk takers (with humor) that there is a reason “we don’t talk to strangers” just to be careful even when we think we are
  • To suggest that we take risks, have adventure, but have caution with whom we trust, trust should be earned over time

I want to present myself as the protagonist
  • Not the hero, but a side observer recapturing the craziness of what went down
  • A supporter in the rescue
  • A rational and reliable person who experienced fear and slowly learned to deal with that
  • A naive person who has learned from my mistakes

I want to present Paul, my antagonist as
  • Aggressive, arrogant, cantankerous, obsessive, a lunatic, lost, pompous, a bully, superficial, a parallel to mafia leaders